Preservation by Topic: Technical Preservation Services (within the National Park Service) has compiled this index to assist users in finding the online and printed information that has been developed on the subjects of historic preservation, cultural landscapes, and the rehabilitation of historic buildings. The index is arranged alphabetically and topics are cross referenced where appropriate. Users can find Technical Preservation Briefs and the Secretary of the Interior's Standards here.
State Historic Preservation Office: The State Historic Preservation Office is housed within the State Historic al Society of Iowa. The office identifies, preserves, and protects Iowa's historic and prehistoric resources. It also administers state and federal historic preservation programs, and maintains a survey and inventory collection of historic properties in Iowa.
National Register of Historic Places: The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archaeological resources.
Other Historic Preservation Commissions within Linn County:
The Linn County Historic Preservation Commission's jurisdiction covers all of Linn County except for communities that are CLGs. The communities that have their own historic preservation commissions are:
- Cedar Rapids Historic Preservation Commission
- Ely Historic Preservation Commission
- Marion Historic Preservation Commission
- Mount Vernon Historic Preservation Commission
Historical Societies within Linn County:
While many towns are not CLGs, they may have a valuable preservation resource in their local historical societies. Each society's organization and mission is different.
- Alburnett Community Historical Society
- Center Point Historical Society
- Central City Historical Society
- Coggon Historical Society
- Ely Community History Society
- Fairfax Historical Foundation
- Genealogical Society of Linn County
- Linn County Historical Society (The History Center)
- Lisbon History Center
- Marion Heritage Center & Museum
- Springville Area Historical Society
- Troy Mills Historical Society
- Walker Historical Society