Frequently Asked Questions
1. Q: How do I report a crime or a traffic accident?
A: For non-emergency situations, call the Sheriff’s Office non-emergency telephone number (319) 892-6100. For crimes in-progress, accidents involving injury, or other emergencies, dial 9-1-1.
2. Q: What are the Patrol Division’s hours of operation?
A: Although the Sheriff’s Office is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. (excluding holidays), the Patrol Division can be reached 24-hours a day, 7-days a week for routine and emergency responses at (319) 892-6100.
3. Q: Can I make a report over the telephone or does a deputy need to come to my house?
A: Although there are situations where a deputy will need to speak with you in person, some lesser crimes can be reported over the telephone. The communications operator or deputy will determine if your report can be handled over the telephone.
4. Q: How do I know if I have to report a motor vehicle accident in which I was involved?
A: The Code of Iowa, Section 321.266, requires an accident report be filed involving all accidents resulting in injury or death to any person, or total property damage equaling or exceeding one thousand five hundred dollars ($1,500.00). Motorists involved in reportable traffic accidents should contact the nearest law enforcement agency immediately to report such an accident.
5. Q: How do I go about having a deputy watch over my home while I’m on vacation?
A: Contact the Linn County Sheriff’s Office at (319) 892-6100 to place your home on the “House Check List” while you are on vacation. Deputies will periodically check your house while you are away. There is no charge for this service.
6. Q: I’ve misplaced the citation envelope that I received with my traffic citation. Can I pay my fine at the Sheriff’s Office?
A: No. Citations are paid through the Linn County Clerk of Court. You may contact them at (319) 398-3411. Their mailing address is: Iowa District Court, Scheduled Violations Office, P.O. Box 1468, Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52406-1468. You can also pay online at www.iowacourts.gov.
7. Q: Where do I go to get my driver’s license renewed?
A: The local Iowa Department of Transportation, Driver’s Licensing Bureau, is located at 152 Collins Road NE, Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52402. Their telephone number is (319) 377-6461.