Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
Show All Answers
2. Written Examination
3. Oral Interview with the Civil Service Commission
4. Completion of Long Form Application
5. Certification of Civil Service List
6. Background Investigation
7. Interview with Sheriff’s Command Staff
8. Conditional Offer of Employment
9. Polygraph Questions that will cover the following:
* Educational experience * Employment experience * Personal health * Credit and debt history * Drug and alcohol use or abuse * Criminal history or activity * Driver's license and traffic offense information * Certain type of sexual activity
Re-application, Re-testing and Re-evaluation
Candidates not appointed to probationary status (employment) will be allowed to re-apply, re-test and be re-evaluated provided they meet the general requirements of the Code of Iowa and the County.
Re-testing will be acceptable if at least a one-year period of time has elapsed since the last testing session.
Linn County Sheriff’s Office, 310 Second Avenue SW, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, or Linn County Human Resources Department, 935 2nd Street SW, Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52404-2100
High school diploma or equivalent, an Associates Degree in a related field is preferred; No experience is required; Must pass the Civil Service Exam; and Complete the training program at the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy during the probation period.
Necessary special requirements include:
Valid State of Iowa driver’s license; The ability to obtain and maintain certification in the following areas: CPR First aid Weapons qualifications Intoxilyzer operation Radar unit operation Jail procedures, and Medication dispensing. SEE "BENEFITS PACKAGE AND MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS" LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION ON MINIMUM REQUIREMENT STANDARDS.