Treasurer (Motor Vehicle/Property Taxes)
Treasurer Services During COVID-19
The public health of our community is of the utmost importance. That is why the Treasurer’s Office is currently closed to the public. However, it is important that we maintain a high level of service while keeping staff and customers safe. As always, you may contact our office at 319-892-5500. Due to limited staff, phones will be answered between 8-11 a.m. and 2-4 p.m. Monday through Tuesday and Thursday through Friday during the building closure. We ask for your patience as we anticipate a high volume of calls during this time.
If your vehicle registration expired Jan. 16, 2020 or later, you do not need to renew your registration at this time. Read more from the IDOT.
On April 27, Governor Reynolds announced the extension of her temporary suspension of penalties and interest for delayed property tax payments until May 27, 2020. Late interest and penalty on property tax payments will apply beginning May 28. Property taxes may be paid online at Iowataxandtags.org. We also have a dropbox outside of the Public Service Center at 935 2nd St. SW in Cedar Rapids where payments can be deposited. Be sure to include your contact information with the business you are dropping off so we may contact you with questions.
We appreciate your patience during this unprecedented time and we thank all of Linn County for your continued support.
For more detailed information on conducting transactions with the Treasurer’s Office, please read this statement from your Linn County Treasurer (PDF).
How to get your title transferred during office closure due to the Covid-19 virus. Read on...
During building closure you are still able to receive your specialty plates. Read on...
This change applies to transferring motor vehicle titles between private parties. A bill of sale is already required for vehicles purchased from a dealership. Read on...
The Linn County Treasurer's Office provides the following services:
- Collects property tax for all real estate, mobile homes, utilities, and special assessments for all tax levying and tax certifying entities of the county
- Administers the Iowa Property Tax Credit Program
- Conducts the annual tax sale for the collection of delinquent taxes
- Processes vehicle transactions including title issuance, registration renewals, personalized and other special license plates, junking certificates
- Notes and releases security interest as an agent of the State of Iowa
- Collects road use tax (now known as fee for new registration)
- Processes credit and refunds of fees
- Administers finances, banking services, cash management, and investments for the county
- Receives all money payable to the county and acts as the central depository for all county offices and departments
Check out our current lobby wait time.