Linn County Veteran Services provides responsive, timely, accurate and compassionate assistance to Veterans, their dependents and survivors in applying for federal, state and local benefits. In recognition of their service to our nation, we act as advocates who share an understanding of the Veteran's service and their needs.
Our agency has accredited County Veteran Service Officers (CVSO's) who are professionals that receive the most current training on the scope, significance and application of ever-changing federal, state and local laws. We work with the Iowa Department of Veterans Affairs and other local organizations in order to assist you in receiving the maximum benefits you have rightfully earned.
Federal Service Programs
Our staff helps eligible veterans apply for compensation and pension programs and works to assist veterans and their dependents. The following list includes, but is not limited to:
- Compensation for Service-Connected Disability / Death
- Non-service Connected Disability Pension
- Death Pension for Surviving Spouse and Dependent Children
- Aid and Attendance for Nursing Home and Housebound Veterans
- Appeals of Unfavorable VA Rulings
- Eligibility Verification Reports (EVR)
- Application for Iowa Veterans Home
County Service Programs
Linn County Veterans Affairs (VA) provides temporary assistance to veterans and their families. Assistance is provided for the following (see eligibility section below for more information to see if you qualify):
- Interest on original mortgage
- Food Pantry on site
- Indigent Burial
- Grave Markers
- Transportation Assistance (Bus Tickets/ Gas Cards)
The veteran must have been discharged under honorable or general under honorable conditions and:
- Served 90 days or more of federal active duty service
- Be a resident of Linn County for at least 30 days
- Meet income guidelines
- Family of 1: Income limitation $1,083.52
- Family of 2 or more: Income limitation $1,182.52
The staff also assists with:
- Obtaining military records and awards
- Distributing grave markers and flag holders for Linn County
- Networking with VA hospitals and clinics
- Networking with other VA facilities and social service agencies
- Applying for Iowa Veterans Trust Fund
All services are provided free of charge.
The Federal Circuit overturned a previous decision with their new decision restoring presumptive service connected compensation for herbicide related conditions to Blue Water Navy Veterans who served within the territorial seas of the Republic of Vietnam. Read on...