Services During COVID-19
Contact Veterans Affairs
For questions about remote services, you can also call 319-892-5160 or email us.
Veterans who want to receive a COVID-19 vaccine should contact the VA COVID-19 Hotline at 319-688-3511 with questions. All Iowans age 16 and older are now eligible for a COVID-19 vaccine.
Linn County Veterans Affairs, part of Linn County government, provides responsive, timely, accurate, and compassionate assistance to veterans, their dependents and survivors in applying for federal, state, and local benefits. In recognition of their service to our nation, we act as advocates who share an understanding of the veteran’s service and their needs.
Linn County Veterans Affairs has accredited County Veteran Service Officers (CVSO’s) who are professionals that receive the most current training on the scope, significance, and application of ever-changing federal, state, and local laws. Staff works with the Iowa Department of Veterans Affairs and other local organizations in order to help veterans and their eligible family members receive the maximum benefits they have rightfully earned.
Federal Service Programs
Our staff helps eligible veterans and their dependents apply for compensation and pension programs. Programs include, but are not limited to:
- Compensation for Service-Connected Disability/Death
- Non-service Connected Disability Pension
- Death Pension for Surviving Spouse and Dependent Children
- Aid and Attendance for Nursing Home and Housebound Veterans
- Appeals of Unfavorable VA Rulings
- Eligibility Verification Reports (EVR)
- Application for Iowa Veterans Home
- Blue Water Veterans
County Service Programs
Linn County Veterans Affairs provides temporary assistance to veterans and their dependents. Assistance is provided for the following (see eligibility section below for more information to see if you qualify):
- Interest on original mortgage
- Indigent burial
- Grave markers
- Transportation assistance (bus tickets/gas cards) when available
The veteran must have been discharged under honorable or general under honorable conditions and:
- Served 90 days or more of federal active duty service
- Be a resident of Linn County for at least 30 days
- Meet income guidelines
- Family of 1: Income limitation $1,131.68
- Family of 2 or more: Income limitation $1,234.68
Staff also assists with:
- Obtaining military records and awards
- Distributing grave markers and flag holders for Linn County
- Networking with VA hospitals and clinics
- Networking with other VA facilities and social service agencies
- Applying for Iowa Veterans Trust Fund
All services are provided free of charge.
Learn more about the many ways county government makes a difference. Read on...