Administration of Classification & Compensation Plan
Develops and updates the county's job classifications, with a variety of positions ranging from heavy equipment operators, social workers, law enforcement, and nonbargaining unit and management staff. Also implements the county's compensation plan for approximately 800 employees.
Labor Relations & Collective Bargaining
Negotiates five labor agreements and administers the contracts including handling grievances:
- American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) Local 231, which represents employees in the maintenance, clerical, para-professional, and professional bargaining units.
- AFSCME Local 231, which represents employees of the Linn County Conservation Department.
- Public, Professional and Maintenance Employees (PPME) Local 2003, which represents employees in the law enforcement bargaining unit.
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) Local 204, which represents employees in the Sergeant's bargaining unit.
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) Local 204, which represents employees in the Assistant County Attorney's bargaining unit.
Job Recruiting and Affirmative Action Guidelines
Directs the county's compliance with federal and state laws and county policies regarding equal opportunity and affirmative action. Recruits candidates for county positions.
Administration of County Benefits
Administers county benefit plans including group health, dental, vision and life insurance plans, long term disability, deferred compensation, sick leave and vacation benefits set forth in the labor agreements, and policies and procedures for nonbargaining employees.
Administration of Employee Development Programs
Team member of the County Employee Development Committee. Implements programs as directed by the committee.