- The Linn County Board of Supervisors approved Linn County’s fiscal year 2022 budget on March 24, 2021.
- Budget planning began in November 2020.
- The budget was developed through more than 20 public meetings between the Linn County Board of Supervisors, other Linn County elected officials, and department heads.
- The FY22 budget does not raise the countywide or rural services levy (property tax) rate. Even with no change in Linn County’s levy rate, homeowners could still see a 2.3 percent increase in their county property taxes due to the increase in taxable value as a result of a change in the state residential rollback.
- The FY22 budget continues Linn County’s funding priorities of public health and safety, physical and mental health, roads and transportation, the environment, and necessary capital improvements.
- The budget includes funding for priorities identified by the Board of Supervisors that will have a positive impact on the County’s ability to serve residents. This includes the new Linn County Mental Health Access Center, diversity training for County staff, and funding for the Emergency Management Agency. These priority areas reflect Linn County’s strategic plan, which focuses on customer satisfaction, high quality of life, and financial health.
- Linn County government accounts for approximately 16 percent of property taxes paid by Linn County property owners in incorporated areas. The remaining 84 percent of property taxes goes to the property taxpayer’s city of residence, school district and other taxing bodies in the county. Linn County taxes represent slightly more than one-third of property taxes for rural residents.
Fiscal Year 2022 Budget
Fiscal Year 2022 Budget Summary
- Budget of $130.7 million – a decrease of 1.4 percent from last year
- No increase in the countywide levy rate of $6.40 per $1,000 of taxable value
- No increase in the rural levy rate of $2.71; rural levy rate includes a reduction of one dollar for rural residents from the Local Option Sales Tax allocation
- Impact to homeowner: An increase of 2.3 percent due to the increase in taxable value as a result of a change in state residential rollback
- Commercial and industrial property taxes remain unchanged
- Farmland taxes will increase approximately 3 percent due to a change in state agricultural rollback
- Property taxes levied: $79.5 million, an increase of 2.3 percent from FY21
- Property taxes account for 61 percent of Linn County’s budget
- Local Option Sales Tax revenue of $2.7 million is budgeted for road construction; $1.5 million for Conservation projects; and $1.5 million in property tax relief for rural residents
- No salary increase for Linn County elected officials and their deputies
- Achieves goal of general fund ending balance of 25 percent. This is important in maintaining Linn County’s Aaa bond rating with Moody’s Investors Service. The Aaa bond rating allows Linn County to issue debt at the lowest possible cost to taxpayers. The 25 percent fund balance also provides the County with flexibility needed to address unforeseen events, such as the serious flooding that devastated Cedar Rapids and the surrounding areas in 2008, the 2020 derecho, and COVID-19. The ability to finance the immediate disaster-related costs until short-term debt proceeds are received is critical to the County’s recovery efforts.
- Linn County’s 2022 fiscal year runs July 1, 2021 to June 30, 2022
Linn County has successfully maintained it Aaa bond rating (the highest rating possible) and has received the following awards from the Government Finance Officers Association for consistently exercising sound financial management and reporting:
- Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting - 31 consecutive years
- Distinguished Budget Presentation Award - 25 consecutive years
- Outstanding Achievement in Popular Annual Financial Reporting - 22 consecutive years