Wickiup Hill Learning Center
The Linn County Conservation Board built the Wickiup Hill Learning Center in 2002 with an expansion completed in 2012. One of the center’s long-standing goals is to provide opportunities for people to experience the outdoors and develop an awareness and admiration of nature.
- All visitors will be required to wear masks/face coverings while indoors, and continue to practice social distancing of at least 6 feet between you and others not in your household.
- Sanitation stations will be available for the public upon entry to the building.
- The Wickiup Hill Learning Center is operating at a reduced capacity. Groups of 10 or more interested in visiting the building are encouraged to contact Wickiup Staff ahead of time at 319-892-6485.
- Guests should stay home if they experience symptoms of a cough, shortness of breath, fever, chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, loss of taste or smell, or other symptoms associated with COVID-19.
In order to continue offering a positive experience at the Wickiup Hill Learning Center, these requirements and guidelines are subject to change as updated information becomes available about the coronavirus and its effects on the community.
Programs and Events
Outdoor education starts at a young age at Wickiup Hill. Monthly programs are provided for kids ranging in age from 1-5 and programs are scheduled regularly with daycare and preschool organizations. The educational staff at Wickiup Hill provides field trip opportunities to thousands of school-aged children in Eastern Iowa throughout the year.
Education doesn’t stop after grade school. Life-long learning opportunities and programs are available for adults, nature clubs and senior-citizen organizations as well. Wickiup Hill encourages educational programming for people of all ages, abilities and interests.
Small groups interested in an outdoor program are encouraged to call our naturalists at 319-892-6485.
- Take a virtual tour of the Wickiup Hill Learning Center. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Wickiup Hill Learning Center has a variety of features that appeal to visitors of all ages, including:
- Educational nature center, with a hallway of habitats and exhibits
- Variety of programs and classes for all ages
- Bird viewing area
- Wildlife viewing area
- Interpretive trails
- Observation deck
- Wetland boardwalk
- Woodland and savanna habitats
- Native American Mounds
- Cross-country skiing trails
- Nature playscape
Wickiup Hill Learning Center is located at 10260 Morris Hills Road, just NW of the Cedar Rapids metropolitan area near Toddville. Head west on Blairs Ferry to Feather Ridge Road; right (north) on Feather Ridge to Morris Hills Road; left (west) on Morris Hills Road - follow to the end of the road, the Center will be on your right (north).