Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
The semiannual installment of property and mobile home tax statements are currently being mailed. The deadline to pay the first half of property taxes without penalty is September 30, 2020. A penalty of one and one half percent will attach to late payments beginning October 1, 2020.
Due to COVID-19 safety precautions, property taxes cannot be paid in person. However, the following payment options are available:
Pay property taxes online at www.iowataxandtags.org. Payment options include VISA, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express credit cards or eCheck. If paying by eCheck, the online fee is only 30 cents. Credit card payments have a non-refundable service delivery fee added to the tax amount due for the service of paying taxes online with a credit card. Residents will have the opportunity to exit out of the payment process without completing the transaction if they choose to do so and pay by an alternate method. The County Treasurer’s Office does not receive any portion of the transaction fee.
Pay by Mail
Mail property tax payments to the Linn County Treasurer, 935 2nd St. SW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52404. Payments postmarked by September 30, 2020 will be considered paid on time and no interest will be charged. The U.S. Postal Service postmark is the only date recognized for date of mailing. The date written on a check or a business metered date cannot be accepted as proof of the mailing date. To ensure proper credit, the stub portion of the tax statement must be submitted with the payment. Residents who would like a receipt must include a self-addressed stamped envelope with their payment.
Drop Box Payment
Property tax payments can be dropped off in the white drop box located in the parking lot of the Jean Oxley Public Service Center, 935 2nd St. SW in Cedar Rapids. Please do not place cash payments in the drop box outside. Cash payments may be deposited in the drop box inside the Public Service Center lobby during normal business hours. To ensure proper credit, the stub portion of the tax statement must be submitted with payment. Residents who would like a receipt must include a self-addressed stamped envelope with their payment.
Email / Text Message Reminders
Property owners can sign up to receive an email or text message reminder to pay the fall and spring installments of property taxes by selecting “Property Tax Payment Reminder” under the Notify Me category and follow the prompts. Property tax statements will still be mailed each fall. The email or text message will serve as a reminder that the payment is due. Standard text messaging rates apply.
Sign up now.
County Treasurers collect property taxes on behalf of all jurisdictions in the county and then distribute the taxes collected. Approximately 16 percent of property taxes paid by Linn County property owners in incorporated areas are used to fund Linn County government operations and services. The remaining 84 percent of property taxes goes to the property taxpayer’s city of residence, school district and other taxing bodies in the county. Linn County taxes represent slightly more than one-third of property taxes for rural residents.
See the reverse side of your property tax statement for a detailed breakdown by percentage and actual dollar amount of how your individual property taxes are distributed among the various taxing jurisdictions.