Can I sell the original farmhouse from the farm?

Linn County has broadened the definition of what was once called a Farmstead Split. It is now called a Residential Parcel Split, which allows the splitting off of a dwelling from the larger tract of land if it meets the following criteria: A dwelling being on the property on, or prior to, January 1, 1985 ( or significant evidence of a dwelling, if not currently in existence ) All resulting parcels have access to an abutting public roadway A minimum of 1 acre shall be required for each residential parcel split This process nor any former "farmstead split" zoning process has previously been used to sever a lot from the parent tract If the remaining land results in less than 35 acres, that remaining land needs to be included in the plat of subdivision and noted as a non-buildable lot, or combined by deed restriction with an adjacent parcel of land to total over 35 acres. For consideration, a residential parcel split requires a fee, an application signed by the property owner, site plan and either a plat of survey or plat of subdivision. A plat of subdivision may be required if the division of land results in any remaining tract being less than 35 acres that cannot be combined by deed restriction with an adjacent parcel. The site of the previously existing dwelling must still be currently intact and shall not have been converted to agricultural production. The purpose of the Land Preservation Parcel Split is to prescribe uniform procedures to allow a single division of land from a parent parcel which contains one or more single family residential structures and which the proposed division does not qualify as a Residential Parcel Split. A land preservation parcel split shall only be approved when all of the following conditions are met: the parent parcel qualifies as a legal lot of record; the parcel proposed for the split (i.e. "bonus parcel") shall contain a minimum of one (1) net acre, must include an existing single family dwelling and may include associated accessory structures; and if one or more dwelling(s) exist on the parent parcel which qualify for a Residential Parcel Split, that process must be completed prior to, or in conjunction with, the Land Preservation Parcel Split process. The following provisions shall apply to the remaining land (i.e. "land preservation parcel") of the parent parcel: the land preservation parcel shall be designated as an Outlot on the plat; the land preservation parcel shall contain a minimum of 10 net acres; and the land preservation parcel may not contain any principal dwelling or other principal structure, but may contain existing accessory buildings or structures (such as agricultural buildings) associated with the use of the land preservation parcel. For further information please contact the Planning and Development Staff at (319) 892-5130.

Show All Answers

1. What permits are required to build a house in Linn County?
2. What is the "farm exemption" and what qualifies for the exemption?
3. Is there a deadline for submitting my application for next month's agenda?
4. Where do I obtain agendas for Linn County zoning meetings?
5. How do I find out what the current zoning is for a certain property in Linn County?
6. Can I operate a business from my home in Linn County?
7. What are the required lot sizes and setbacks?
8. What is the status of my Linn County zoning case?
9. My property is subject to deed restrictions (covenants). What are they and does Linn County enforce them?
10. What do I need to do to divide my property in rural Linn County?
11. Can I sell the original farmhouse from the farm?